Friday 17 December 2010

Great Angling Weather (Not)

Another cold spell is starting to grip the country just as most venues around my area have nearly thawed out, this is a real shame as the last few day have been quite pleasant for this time of year and I am sure another few day like that would have seen sport improve. I suppose that at least river anglers have a better chance of finding some fishable ice free stretches than our counterparts that just fish commercials.

We still have the problem of finding some fish that are willing to feed when the water is this cold and although far from being an expert I believe that Chub offer us a better chance than most other species as they tend to keep feeding in the worst of weathers.
And this is what I plan for this weekend, I remember a couple of swims on the Nene at Oundle that I fished last winter and caught mainly small Chub from, so weather permitting I will have go at them.
Over the previous 3 weeks I have concentrated on known Roach pegs but have failed to catch and this can only really be down to the water temperature as they are normally stuffed.

The normal winter plan for me is to fish the river Nene when it has a little bit of flow and colour and travel out into Leicestershire and fish the Grand Union Canal when the river is low and clear. Obviously my backup plan is a little fragile when it is this cold as the canal has very little if any boat traffic at this time of year and freezes solid. I am not really known for my ice breaking skills, I always think this is better left to Eskimo’s and the like.

Anyway here’s hoping I can get a couple of hours in on the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment