Tuesday 28 December 2010

Whittlesey Dyke 28th Dec 10

I had a cracking few hours on the Whittlesey Dyke on peg 299 just below the road bridge fishing through the ice


Although the ice had already been broken I did have some work to do with the ice breaker to get the keepnet in properly and this was still pretty tuff going as it was 5 inches thick in the margin. With the limited amount of water available to me I planned to keep things simple with just one line at 6 metres which was  3' 6" deep and so I set up just one rig and a cupping kit.
The float was a 4 x 12 Drennan Roach with a carbon stem shotted up with styls,  I started with a bulk 18" from the hook and a couple of droppers with a size 22 Mustard wide gape match hook.
I cupped in 3 balls of 50/50 Dynamite Bait Frenzied Hemp Black and Roach Black containing a few fluro pinkies and started with a pinkie on the hook, after a couple of runs through the 8' wide swim the float slid away and resulted in a 1oz Roach. This was followed by a similar fish every put in for the next 10 minutes before I switched to a big Bronze maggot on the hook. The switch was picking me out the odd better fish but only up to about 3oz but this was better than 1oz fish and all the time I was dripping in 6 - 8 grains of Hemp ready to convert them to seed. At 50 minutes I spread out the shotting pattern and switched to the seed and the first Hemp Roach came on the hour and after 8 quick fish I slipped a Tare on the hook and had a 4 oz fish but I couldn't really get any kind of rhythm going and this was pretty much the pattern for the rest of the short session.


I would catch a few fish in quick succession and then not get a bite for 5 minutes and so after 3 hours I decided to call it a day as the combination of handling very cold fish and shipping a wet pole in and out had just about frozen my hands, I ended the session with just over 8lb which wasn't too bad at all and I probably dropped another pound off of the hook swinging them in.

All in all a pleasant short session on a venue I haven't fished for a few years but I dare say I will probably return again before this winter is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment