Tuesday 11 October 2011

Ten Mile Bank, the Piggeries

This weekend was pretty much the same as the last with a trip to the Great Ouse but we had decided to fish a section that we had never fished before. A recent mach on the Ouse had seen most of the better weights come from this section which is at the bottom end towards Denver Sluice. It rained for most of the journey there but had just about stopped by the time we arrived at the river, as usual we had a quick drive along to see if there were any signs of fish.
We spotted fish topping at the Piggeries and at Danby Drove but very little in between and so elected to fish the piggeries section for a change.
Today I was accompanied by my friend Graham and my son Callum who is an occasional angler and so my first task was to get him sorted out and fishing. We all decided to fish the feeder with Graham fishing 3/4 across and me and Callum fishing down the middle.

With the venue being so deep the boats do not trouble you at all.


Callum was into a Roach on his first cast and had 3 more similar fish in the net by the time I had got set up, Graham was a whole 40 minutes before his first bite. I made a couple of cast before I had my first bite that produced a pristine Roach of about 4oz and I followed this with a couple a little bigger at 6oz each before the tip registered a much more positive bite. I struck into something that was a little bigger and at first I thought it was a big Roach but it turned out to be a Hybrid of about 1lb.

I wouldn't mind a few of these


Sport was a little slow with most of the bites coming to double Red maggot but I had a few better Roach falling for a grain of Sweetcorn and this was enough to keep me interested as I was catching better than the other two so I couldn't complain too much. 

I really must have a go for these on the pole next week
When we decided to call it a day I had finished up with 7lb with Callum and Graham both ending up with about 3lb each. I am sure I would have done better had I fished the pole but sometimes I just take the easy option and fish the feeder.

Peterborough Pole Repairs
I continue to slowly gather momentum with the pole repair business and have diversified a little to meet the needs of local anglers and I have now performed a number of rod repairs from simple single rod ring repairs  to a replacement spliced in tip on a feeder rod.
This week saw a request from somebody to see if I could put their name onto some very expensive carp rods which was very timely as I have been looking at ways to put my logo onto my repairs. If my trials are successful this could be a new service that I am able to offer so I will report back on this in the near future.

http://www.peterboroughpolerepairs.co.uk/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment