Tuesday 9 August 2011

Shimano Beastmaster BX 12ft Feeder Rod review

Having purchased this rod a few weeks ago I have now used it a number of times and feel its time to give a full review of it. The general appearance of the rod is quite understated with a satin finish on the blank and gloss finish on the whippings and joints, a quick inspection soon reveals the quality of finish which is up there with the best. The handle is part cork part hypalon and it has a screw reel seat, now I must admit that Brown is not one of my  favourite colours but I am coming to terms with it.

Shimano Beastmaster BX 12ft Feeder Rod
The rod comes supplied with three push in tips in 1,2 & 3oz test curve, the tips are slow taper and they blend in beautifully with the curve of the rod. The spare tips come in their own small tube that stores in a small pocket in the cloth rod bag and so are well protected and unlikely to be accidentally damaged.
The action of the rod is lovely and soft in the tip and carrier section with power starting to build as the mid section starts to load up under the weight of a decent fish.
Do not be deceived by the name of the rod as it conjures up the impression that the rod is all about power, yes this rod does have ample power but it also has great finesse.
I mainly bought the rod for fishing big deep fenland venues for Bream and Skimmers and I have not been disappointed with the performance so far. The initial soft action beautifully cushions the hookhold when fishing for Skimmers with their soft mouths and I have already caught plenty with the rod without loosing a single fish.
I generally use this rod with a Drennan type medium open ended feeder and find it handles these with ease, the blank loads up easily in the cast and can punch the feeder out with relative ease into a head wind.
I have had a few proper Bream and the rod has been perfect for them, I also had a near double figure Pike on for a few minute and used this as an excuse to really give the rod some stick until the hook length failed. Again this posed no real problems for this rod and I look forward to an encounter with something more substantial as I have full confidence in the rod.
The funny thing is I'm not really a regular on the feeder but this season I have used this rod more than any feeder rod I have ever had and I have really enjoyed it.
So if you are in the market for a new medium feeder rod I would recommend that you include this one in your shortlist, I selected it over Drennan and Daiwa's offerings in this price range and remain happy that I have selected the right rod for my needs.
Its always more enjoyable fishing with tackle you really feel at home with so choose with care and enjoy what you are doing.
All The Best

No comments:

Post a Comment