Tuesday 1 November 2011

Commercials And The Canal Are The Only Option

The last couple of week or so has seen the sport on the rivers drop off with a couple of light frosts any faint hint of colour has well and truly gone. This was quite evident on Sunday 23rd when we went over to Ten Mile Bank on The Ouse, the river was like tap water and 2 of us didn't have a singe bite and that was from two different locations. The previous weekend had seen the Skimmers go on a feeding frenzy but this time the same pegs were all but dead.
We could really do with a few days of heavy rain to put some colour and flow into the rivers but I guess that we have more chance of winning the national lottery but until then I will have to find other ways to keep myself fishing.


The Grand Union Canal is one venue that we often use throughout the winter period when the rivers are out of sorts but even this has been a little below par. I have been on the GUC twice this week with the first visit to Theddingworth on Tuesday, it was a bit patchy but I managed
2 1/2lb of bits but with nothing over a couple of ounces. The second visit was to South Kilworth on Sunday, this was really hard going and I didn't even quite manage a pound even though the canal looked mint the fish just didn't' feed.

I have also had a couple of visits to commercial fisheries this week and although my first love is always natural venues they have provided me with some much welcome sport.
On Monday I visited Westons at Peakirk near Peterborough and  had just under 40lb of mainly big Skimmers with a couple of 3lb Carp thrown in on the pole and pellet which I really enjoyed as these Skimmers fight like Carp.
Friday saw me at Kingsland Reservoir on the bigger Carp Lake catching plenty of small Carp from 6oz to a couple of pounds on the pole and pellet and a lump of 12.5lbs that really gave the No 11 Preston hollow elastic a work out.



This low double capped a great day





Although I am not really up to speed with Carp and Commercials I had a couple of decent catches and really enjoyed myself and will deffinately consider further visits until the sport on the rivers picks up.

http://www.peterboroughpolerepairs.co.uk/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark. Good blog. Its good to hear of someone fishing proper venues.
    I would recommend you take a look at the GUC at Kilby Bridge or Wigston in Leicester. 4 or 5 pounds every time, even in deepest winter, with a good chance of double figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Dan, I will have to give it a go

    ReplyDelete