Monday 7 November 2011

GUC Theddingworth

This Sunday saw us at Theddingworth on the canal, We decided to try a new area that was over 1km from the nearest access. After a brisk walk we arrived at the area we had picked from the map and found that it was well sheltered from the worst of the wind which was a little cool as it was from the North. We both settled for pegs with a far bank feature in the shape of overhanging tree's and went about setting up the gear. I set up 2 top kits with a view to finding 3ft of water and a further line another section over. I found the first line at about 9m but on adding another section I could only find 14 inches of water across and I was not really comfortable with this and so didn't plan to use this line.
I started off with a small ball of liquidised bread at 9m and went in with bread punch on the hook, It must have been about 10 minutes before my first bite which resulted in a Roach of around 1oz. In the next half an hour I caught another 6 similar sized fish in a steady fashion and Graham had  caught a little better and had about 12 fish. Anyway just as we are starting to get things going the wind gets up and manages to blow every leaf that was floating on the surface of the canal into my peg making it all but impossible to get my rig into the water without hooking one of the bloody things. Anyway I decided to up sticks as this was ridiculous and I wasn't keen on my far line either. 



I had about 1lb before having to move swims


I headed back up the canal and eventually settled on the first peg by bridge 50 which I have  fished before and done alright on.


My second peg with no leaves on my 2 lines

The second peg was clear of leaves and with the wind in my face any that did fall ended up at my feet out of the way. I set up 2 rigs, the first was a Drennan 4x12 Roach pattern and the second was a Drennan 4x10 Pinkie. The Roach pattern float was fished on line 1 in 3ft of water with big maggot on the hook over the top of a couple of small balls of groundbait and then a few maggots were dripped over this with a small Toss-Pot. The second rig was fished on the far line into about 2ft of water tight against the bush on the far bank with maggot of Pinkie on the hook and this line just received a few loose offerings via the catapult.


 Big maggot on the  hook


4x12  Drennan Roach float slightly over shotted with a little grease on the bristle
First put in on the shorter line resulted in a 3oz Roach which was an encouraging start to the proceeding and I followed this with a Perch of 4oz. I then had a couple of small gudgeon and an odd small roach of about an ounce before I had to let a boat come through, the boats do not pass directly over this line as they have to get to the centre of the canal to line up with the bridge and so disturbance is kept to a minimum. When the boat had passed I topped up the swim and had a quick look on the far line to see what was about and I saw the float disappear almost immediately. I had a number of small Roach of about 1/2oz over the next 10 minutes or so before having a look back on the main line. The return to this line gave me a run of Perch up to 4oz and a fair few small Gudgeon before Graham came walking towards me, he had been fishing a couple of hundred yard away and hadn't done very well and so with this I decided to call time on the day.
I had manages about 2 1/2lb in a couple of hours an so I wasn't too disappointed but again the canal was not really fishing as well as I would have expected at this time of year.

Next week we plan to have a look at the Kilby Bridge stretch as it has been recommended to me by someone who read a previous post so it will be interesting to fish a new stretch.

Until then I will occupy myself with a few pole repairs to keep me out of trouble

http://www.peterboroughpolerepairs.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment