Sunday 15 January 2012

River Glen, Round 3 Deeping Individual League.

 Well this Sunday saw me on the river Glen for the first time this season in round 3 of the Deeping St James Individual league, the club had fished it the week before and although I couldn't fish I had been told it was a good match.
We all met up at the Fisherman's Arms pub at Pode Hole  at 08.00 for pre match breakfast and banter before driving the mile or so to the river for the draw, I was 4th into the draw bag and pulled out peg 9 which was about the middle of the stretch


The River Glen at West Pinchbeck


The river was quite clear and so I decided to start the match on punch and take it from there, I started with a small ball of liquidised bread with a few fluro Pinkies and started with punch on the hook at 4m to hand. First put in and the float had only just settled before it went under and I swung in a 1/2oz Roach, second put in on bread I hooked a huge Perch that looked to be around 3lb but unfortunately I just couldn't hold it on the whip and the hook length parted.
Now that was a real bummer and it turned out to cost me both money and league points, anyway I carried on catching small Roach on the whip in a steady fashion and I was at least level with the best of the rest at this point. I decided to try a Pinkie on the hook to see if I could save time on re-baiting after every fish as I was with the bread and soon found that the fish were just as happy taking Pinkie and it wasn't too long before I hooked a nice Perch of around 1lb. This was just what I needed but just as I went to draw it over the net the bloody hook pulled out and I watched the fish swim away, now this really finished me off as I had now lost about 4lb in the first hour. Quite a few anglers had put in a chopped worm line but unfortunately I had left my worms on the garage floor and still managed to loose a couple of decent Perch. Every now and again I would notice other anglers netting big Perch but all I could do was plug away on the whip although I knew it was futile as I just couldn't get enough fish coming. Anyway after 4 hours the whistle signaled the end of the match and after the weigh in it was apparent that the 6 anglers that had beaten me all had bonus Perch in their nets, 7lb 10 oz won the match on the day with my 4lb 5oz giving me 7th place.

No comments:

Post a Comment