Saturday 7 April 2012

The Sun Sets On Another Season

Well that it for another river season, I have had a busy last few days although I haven't had much to show for my efforts. I had taken time off work as normal for the last days of the season and planned to fish Sunday to Wednesday to make the most of the time left and the following is a brief account of how it went.


The Sun sets on the River Nene at Wansford for another season





Sunday 11th:
I fished the River Nene at Elton near Peterborough 4 pegs above the road bridge, I had fished this peg a couple of times before and fancied it for a few fish. The river had a nice tinge of colour and it was a lovely warm day and I went about setting up the pole to fish at 13m and also a heavy stick float so that I could search further down the swim in case the fish dropped down the peg. Starting off with a couple of balls of ground bait I wasn't too long before I had my first bite and started catching a steady stream of small Dace, Chub and Roach before getting plagued by Bleak. I Stuck at it for a couple of hours just feeding Hemp in the hope that the Bleak would drift out of the swim but the downside was I hardly got another bite.
I ended up with about 4lb of bits for my trouble and left feeling a little disappointed but there's always tomorrow to make amends.


Plenty of bites but no better fish






Monday 12th:
Today I was going to have a couple of hours on the river at Wansford as I hadn't fished it for a few weeks as it had really been poor of late but I thought I would try my luck anyway.
Well I set up a waggler rod to fish 3/4 across on peg 16 and started over a couple of small balls of groundbait with maggot on the hook and caught a Bleak first chuck which really pissed me off. Anyway for the next 2 hours all I caught was a string of Bleak with an odd small Chub and Dace for variety, all in all not a lot of fun and I was happy to pack up and go home. That evening I got an email with the match results from the Sunday match and it was grim reading and if I had have received it on Sunday night I probably wouldn't have gone.


Tuesday 13th:
I decided to have a look down the wide Welland and was pleased to see it had a decent colour in it for a change and after standing and watching some decent Roach topping at the footbridge decided to give it a go. I sat on the East bank as the wind was better for presenting a float but after 3 hours I hadn't had a single bite, I was right were the fish had been topping and had played it cautiously with the feed but to no avail. This river will drive you mad, there are still 1000s of fish in it but for the best part they wont feed , I had a similar thing at the start of the season when me and my mate saw 70 or 80 Bream roll in the evening but couldn't get a bite!
On the way home I dropped in on the North Bank of the Nene at the Millenium Bridge and saw it was Black with so many Roach it was unreal but a couple of hours with only 12 fish was enough for me as I had been deluded into thinking I was going to empty it.


Wednesday 14th:
It was the last day of the season and I have to admit that I was pleased it was nearly over as I had put in a lot of effort for very little reward. Anyway because of the fact that we didn't know were to go we went to Wansford again. It was a similar story to Monday with mainly Bleak, small Roach, Chub and Dace with a few chunky Gudgeon thrown in for good measure, the weather was nice so it made it seem a little better and I sort of enjoyed being there but it had been a disappointing end to the season.


I hope yours went better than mine
Cheers Mark



No comments:

Post a Comment