Tuesday 21 December 2010

Local Tackle Shops Need Anglers Support

This is something that I have spent some time thinking about recently and feel should be of concern to us all,

in my home town of Peterborough we only have 3 tackle shops left, now this is probably about right for the current demand but the thought of loosing my local tackle shop is not one I relish. This is because I really do not want to have to drive all the way across town and back just for a pint of maggots and I am sure you don’t want to either.

So with this in mind I gave some thought to my own spending habits and the kind of things that I purchased from my local shop against the larger purchases I make from the bigger dealer across town and via the Internet. I concluded that I probably spend more money on one or two major purchases than I do in a whole year buying bait and other odds and ends from my local shop. The problem with the smaller local shops is that they find it difficult to match the larger shops and web based retailers for product choice and price with their extensive range of stock and increased buying power. So what can we do to ensure the survival of our local shops and secure ourselves the best possible prices and service?

Well here is an example of something that I did recently, I was looking to purchase a new V pole roller and had decided I wanted the Preston Innovations Pro model.
Having looked at pricing on the Internet I noted that most dealers had it marked up at around £44.99 and this gave me a benchmark price to work with. Now here’s the rub, my local dealer had it marked up at £49.99 which is actually the recommended retail price and £5 more than I really wanted to pay but I did want to spend my money with him. So I explained to him that his price was £5 more than others but that I wanted to give him the opportunity of my custom and so asked him what price he could do it for, he readily agreed to match the price. He was actually quite pleased to make the sale and thanked me stating that some profit was better than none in these hard economic times. We then went on to have a general chat about business or the lack of it and he spoke to me about his profit margins and how he had diversified into selling Pet Food Supplies and Bedding plant sales just to survive. The shop owner works 7 days a week which is great for us anglers if we need last minute bait or tackle and so I figure he’s well worth my support.

 With this philosophy in mind there is an opportunity for us all to support our local tackle shops and in turn ensure their survival in these hard economic times. As long as you know what you want and what the general price of the item is you can go along and explain what you are after and at what price you can get it for therefor giving the local shops the opportunity to supply your larger purchase and even some of the tackle items that they don’t normally carry as stock items.

If you value your local tackle dealer for the convenience and service they provide then support them through these difficult times and help to ensure their survival and I am sure we will benefit in the long run.

After all I have said there is still a need for the larger stores and the web based retailers and I for one value their part in the bigger picture in helping provide choice and keeping prices competitive.

This article though is about the smaller fish in the pond, so go on help them survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment