Sunday 12 June 2011

My Season Preview

Well its nearly that time again and although June 16th doesn't hold quite the same attraction for me as it did years ago I still look forward to returning to the rivers after the lay off. This closed season has been a little different for me in the fact that I have actually been out fishing when normally I don't bother. The main reason is that I bought a new pole and I couldn't go all of that time without trying it out now could I?

I am planning on fishing the river Welland in the first couple of weeks of the season as there is


always the chance of a decent catch although the last couple of years have been a little difficult.
This once great river is a lot different to the river Welland of my fathers generation but it still has a lot to offer and if you can catch it on the right day it will show you a glimpse of its potential.
There is still a large head of Bream and some of these fish are very large indeed but the Roach and Skimmers are what I normally target on the waggler or the feeder if conditions are rough. I am going to concentrate my effort on 2  very different areas of the river a few miles apart, the first area is the shallow water towards peakirk as I know there are a lot of fish there after they have finished spawning and I spotted them the other evening while out walking the stretch. The other is lower down towards the A16 bridge, this section is a lot deeper and can throw up some double figure skimmer catches with big Bream, the odd Tench and some Roach always possible.

Another place I will be looking at is the river Nene above Wansford providing the weed doesn't grow too much as I saw a lot of fish topping the other evening and although I am not overly familiar with this stretch I plan to change that this coming season. 

Ounce we get into mid July I will be travelling out to one of my favourite summer venues the Middle Level main drain. This has got to be one of the best natural venues in the country for Skimmers with double figure catches always on the cards. Now most of the time I fish short on the pole as you can normally find at least 12ft of water at 7 metres but just for a change I often fish the slider. With a depth of 15 - 17 feet from 1/3 of the way across this is a great alternative to fishing a feeder and much more rewarding when it all comes together.
The only other venue I might have a look at could be the Great Ouse between Littleport and Ten Mile bank but we will have to wait and see because that's quite a bit of water to go at in the first couple of months. Anyway that my plan and I will update you on how it works out for me.

All the best for the new season and good luck to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment